Friday, August 29, 2014

#ISRO's Mangalyaan has completed 90% its journey

ISRO has announced that its Mars Orbiter Mission ‘Mangalyaan’ is close to reach its orbit and has completed almost 90% of its journey. Remaining 10% of its journey will be completed in four weeks' time. The mission holds a lot of importance for India and ISRO. It is one of the most important and advanced space mission for India and its success will place India in the league of the US, Russia, European Union, Japan and China.

India is putting more money into its space projects. The MOM has cost India $75 million and is considered to be the most cost effective mission of such a nature in the history of space exploration. Similar US mission has cost NASA around $800 million. Since its launch date, Mangalyaan has travelled around 680 million km.
Mars Orbiter Mission is carrying five scientific payloads to observe Martian surface, atmosphere and exosphere extending up to 80,000 km for a detailed understanding of the evolution of that planet.These payloads consist of a camera, two spectrometers, a radiometer and a photometer. Together, they have a weight of about 15 kg.